2018 Registration Packet
2018 Registration Packet
Woodfield Waves 2018
Cost: Swimmers up to age 12 $130 + $38 ASA**
Swimmers age 13 & over $25 + $38 ASA**
A non-resident fee of $25 per family applies to out of Woodfield residents/members. There are discounts for siblings.
**Each swimmer must
register with Atlanta Swim Association, the group which organizes all of our
meet schedules. This is done automatically when you sign up as a competitive swimmer. This is a non-refundable
fee that goes directly to ASA.
Daily after school practices from May 14th-May 23rd
- 4:30pm – 5:00pm 6 & Under
- 5:00pm – 5:45pm 7 & 8s and 9 & 10s
- 5:45pm – 6:30pm 11 & Up
There will be NO practice on Thursday, May 24th or Monday, May 28th
Daily morning practices from Tuesday, May 29th - Tuesday, June 26th
Regular practice times for Monday thru Friday (starting Friday May 25)
- 8:30am – 9:15am 7 & 8s and 9 & 10s
- 9:15am – 9:45am 6 & Under
- 9:45am – 10:45am 11 & Up
These schedules are subject to change depending on numbers of children and skill levels as determined by our coaches. Swimmers may be encouraged to practice with an older or younger group to better match up various skill levels.
There will be practices both the day of a swim meet and the morning after a meet. These two days are critical so the swimmer can learn of the events he/she is swimming before the meet and can receive ribbons and donuts the morning after the meet.
Please do not miss practice, if possible! Practices are not mandatory, but are, of course, very beneficial. We understand you may have conflicting schedules and other obligations. It is not necessary to let us know if your child will miss practice, but we will need to know as soon as possible if your child will miss a meet.
|Thursday - Meet #1
|May 31 - 5:30pm
|Thursday - Meet #2
vs Fall of Autry Mill
|June 7 - 5:30pm
||@Falls of Autry Mill
|Friday - Team Pics||June 8 - 9am||@Woodfield|
|Thursday - Meet #3
vs Nesbit Lakes
|June 14 - 5:30pm
|Thursday - Meet #4
vs Lifetime Fitness
|June 21 - 5:30pm
|Monday - Banquet||June 25 (Tentative) 6:30-8:30pm||@Woodfield|
|Tuesday - Meet #5
vs Spring Ridge
|June 26 - 5:30pm
|Friday - ASA Divisionals||June 29 - 3pm(TBD)||@Georgia Tech All
|Saturday - ASA Champs||June 30 - Time TBD
**All dual meets begin at 5:30 PM. Arrive at 4:15 PM for HOME meets and 4:30 PM for AWAY meets.
Swim Committee - firstname.lastname@example.org
Crystal Pelkey - Parent Rep
Hope Gricus - Meet Coordinator
Jessica Harkness - Volunteer Coordinator
- Please see Practice Tab for all practice dates and times.
- Parents - please get your kids to the coaches at the start of their practice time and then let the coaches take over. Swim team works best when you let the coaches run the show and the kids can give their undivided attention to the coaches. Parents can sometimes be an unnecessary distraction. Thanks for your understanding and support.
- Morning practice of meet days - After practice Jr. Coaches/Parents will help write in permanent marker your child’s event number, lane number and heat number on their arms. Also, for younger kids, write their names across their back. This helps parents working the bull pens to efficiently round up the kids and get them lined up at the starting blocks for their events.
- Please address any concerns about your child’s ability to swim to the coaches directly, BUT NOT DURING PRACTICE - please wait until after practice. If that avenue is not working, please see Crystal with your concerns.
- You are welcome to communicate your questions, concerns, constructive feedback, request for private lessons, etc. by emailing the coaches or texting them. We appreciate you not interrupting them during regular swim practice while they are actively coaching.
- During practice, please keep all children out of the baby pool. Woodfield does not have a life guard on duty until after we are done with swim team. It is against our policy with the Woodfield club to allow any children in the baby pool while there is not a life guard on duty. The Woodfield pool opens daily for their members at 12:00 PM.
- After Memorial Day, Friday practices are “Fun Fridays.” Non-swimmers will still receive their lessons from 9:15-9:45am as normal. The rest of the team is invited to come to the pool for a donut, pick up their ribbons from the previous night’s meet, and have free swim time. Pool will be open from 8:30-10:45 AM.
- If you are going to miss any meets, you must RSVP via the website. Go to www.woodfieldwaves.swimtopia.com and click "Swim Meets." If it is a last minute change, text Crystal at 470-587-7545.
- Show up for all meets, RAIN or SHINE. We will only call the meet off once we are at the meet and the weather conditions DO NOT allow us to swim.
- For home meets be at our pool by 4:15 PM and away meets be there by 4:30 PM. At home meets our team warms up first and at away meets our team warms up after the home team. The meets officially start at 5:30 PM. Meets usually last about 4+ hours. There are 86 events for dual meets.
- Any last minute changes to individual events need to be entered into the computer 30 minutes prior to the meet start time, 5:00 PM deadline. For any last minute changes (e.g., sickness, injury, etc.) please text Crystal: 470-587-7545
- 6 & under age groups only swim: Freestyle, Backstroke and Freestyle Relay.
- All other age groups swim: Freestyle, Backstroke, Butterfly, Breaststroke, IM, Freestyle Relay and Medley Relay.
- Setup morning of practice – For all home meets we must set up tents, no parking signs, concessions tables, flags, events sign, & Woodfield Waves sign. If you see parents working please pitch in and help.
- Scoring for Dual Meets - Individual Events: 1st - 5 points, 2nd - 3 Points, 3rd - 1 point. Relays (Freestyle and Medley): 1st - 7 points, 2nd - 5 points. No one team can completely sweep the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place points for any individual events or any relay.
- Only the first heat of each event is used for scoring purposes. There are 86 events total per dual meet. But scoring is not emphasized (especially to the younger kids) as they are all rewarded with ribbons regardless if they swim in a scoring heat or an exhibition heat.
- For all the official ASA league rules, please refer to the site: www.atlantaswimming.com
- All kids will receive ribbons the day after a meet for all individual and relay events. Ribbons are handed out at the front entrance picnic tables the morning after meets. Ribbons are organized by each child’s name and ribbons are found in their individual folder.
- We sell concessions at the dual meets. Our team uses the profits of the concessions for the end of the season awards and banquet. Please support the concessions!
- For all dual meets, one or both parents from each family are expected to volunteer in some capacity (timer, recorder, place judge, deck manager, etc.) Exceptions are made for those parents that have paid the $150 volunteering dues and know that they cannot help during the meets. If both parents are interested in helping, that would be great. Please let our Volunteer Coordinator, Jessica Harkness, know about your situation. None of the jobs are hard and most do not require any training or expertise. Again, please let us know if you are not going to be at a meet because we will not assign you to work a position. In situations where both spouses come to the meets, it might be a good idea to have one or the other work a volunteer position and leave the other in charge of managing the kids and make sure they are getting to the starting blocks for their event.
- For the dual meets, the 6 & under kids only swim two strokes and therefore finish early, after event 43, which typically ends around 7:15 PM. We will assign those parents with only younger kids the early shift for volunteering. The late shift will be covering Events 44 – 86. The late shift usually starts around 7:15 PM and ends around 9:00 PM.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask!